November 14th, 2015
Within hours, dare I say minutes, of the 13 November terror attacks in Paris I saw so many images and messages with varying hashtags saying that we should pray for Paris. But what does that even mean to most people?
It seems like a few different things may be happening:
- People of prayer are genuinely praying for and requesting prayer for victims’ families, survivors, aid, security, national well-being, the political atmosphere, justice, humanity, and so on.
- People of prayer send out prayer requests but don’t actually pray themselves.
- Prayer is a euphemism for sympathy and thoughts (i.e. “I’m thinking of you”).
- Prayer means, well, something else(?).
Qu’est-ce que la prière? Minimally, prayer is communication with a personal being that has the ability to introduce new causes into a system. Prayer may be intercessory. Prayer may be admonishing. Prayer may be confession. It may be many things. I think the most modest model of prayer was outlined by Thomas Aquinas.
read more »
August 24th, 2015
I have received many emails and messages from readers within the last week of the 404 Errors. At first I thought it was because I had recently taken down many posts that contain material that I have submitted for publication (copyright purposes).
However, the site is temporarily unavailable beyond what is able to be seen on the front pages. There website is currently without funds to maintain it and the domain has suspended services due to the lack of funds.
In due time, I will be able to get the site back up and running as it should be (hopefully the podcasts can be up again in the future–they were shut down for lack of funds as well). The material won’t go anywhere but it won’t be available until I’m able to front the needed funds.
(The site automatically tweets posts queried through a plugin so please disregard any posts in the near future.)
Thank you for your loyalty and for your readership!
June 5th, 2015
In the beginning, there was God. Just God. No one or nothing else (“prior” to creation). Now, for the sake of taking some of the language down a few notches, let’s suppose God is deliberating between which worlds he wants to create (I deny divine deliberation, but work with me here).
Behind door number 1 is an option for a world and universe for God to create. Let’s concoct what this world would look like:
- Cassidy owns a ginger cat named Basil
- Hugo won $156,000,000 in the lottery
- James got a haircut on 09 November 2004
- Desmond went to prison
read more »