April 2nd, 2014
Constants of Space and Time.
- Planck length (the minimum interval of space), lp = 1.62 x 10-33 cm.
- Planck time (the minimum interval of time), tp = 5.39 x 10-44 sec.
- Planck’s constant (this determines the minimum unit of energy emission), h = 6.6 x 10-34 joule seconds.
- Velocity of light, c = 300,000 km/sec.
- Gravitational attraction constant, G = 6.67 x 10-11 Nm2/kg2.
- Weak force coupling constant, gw = 1.43 x 10-62.
- Strong nuclear force coupling constant, gs = 15.
Individuating Constants (Composition of the Electromagnetic Force).
- Rest mass of a proton, mp =1.67 x 10-27 kg.
- Rest mass of an electron, me = 9.11 x 10-31 kg.
- The electron or proton unit charge, e = 1.6 x 10-19 coulombs.
- Minimum mass in our universe, (hc/G)½ = 2.18 x 10-8 kg.
read more »
December 10th, 2013
After this I feel a huge sigh of relief coming… A relief that science hasn’t been hijacked by the one-track minded aristocrats of scholarship who only want to monologue. Remember what happened to Einstein and Higgs’ first major papers that led to amazing theories and confirmations? Oh, yeah…
Source: The Guardian
Leading academic journals are distorting the scientific process and represent a “tyranny” that must be broken, according to a Nobel prize winner who has declared a boycott on the publications.
Randy Schekman, a US biologist who won the Nobel prize in physiology or medicine this year and receives his prize in Stockholm on Tuesday, said his lab would no longer send research papers to the top-tier journals, Nature, Cell and Science.
Schekman said pressure to publish in “luxury” journals encouraged researchers to cut corners and pursue trendy fields of science instead of doing more important work. The problem was exacerbated, he said, by editors who were not active scientists but professionals who favoured studies that were likely to make a splash.
read more »
July 22nd, 2013
“Poetic Theories” is a debate looking at whether poetry can contribute to the progress of science and if so how.