I would like to ask all of you to wear purple at least once this week for Crohn’s and Colitis awareness week. As some of you know, I’ve been in a tough battle with the disease for a while now and I’ve been in chronic pain since last summer. For more on my story please see my links:
Originally blogged at My Journey With Crohns.
As a result of a federal bill introduced by Senator Harry Reid
(D-NV) and Congressman Andrew Crenshaw
(R-FL-4) (passed in 2011 [LINK: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/sres199/text
], Congress declared December 1-7 to be Crohn’s and Colitis Awareness Week to educate Americans about the diseases and encourage people to join in the effort to find a cure for IBD. This resolution was passed in thanks to some great Senators and Representatives who cosponsored it including:
· Senator Thad Cochran (R-MS)
· Senator Jack Reed (D-RI)
· Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY)
· Senator Patty Murray (D-WA)
· Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY)
· Senator Maria Cantwell (D-WA)
· Senator Richard Burr (R-NC)
· Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA)
· Congressman Rush Holt (D-NH-12)
· Congressman Jesse Jackson (D-IL-1)
· Congressman Pete King (R-NY-3)
· Congressman Tom Latham (R-IA-4)
· Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney (D-NY-14)
· Congressman Jim McGovern (D-MA-3)
· Congressman Jim Moran (D-VA-8)
· Congressman Charlie Rangel (D-NY-15)
· Congressman Dennis Ross (R-FL-12)
· Congressman Pat Tiberi (R-OH-12)
· Congressman Adam Smith (D-WA-9)
Crohn’s and Ulcerative Colitis impact millions of people nationwide. We don’t have to tell you how debilitating these two incurable diseases can be- the cramping, the diarrhea, the constant urgency, the food limitations, and so on.
Crohn’s & Colitis Awareness Week is celebrated to make people aware of these diseases and raise money to bring us close to finding a cure.
How to celebrate this year
A group of Crohn’s and Colitis bloggers are coming together to celebrate this year with a Go Purple Challenge.
From December 1-7, we are going to wear an item of purple in honor of Crohn’s & Colitis Awareness Week. Whether it’s a shirt, bracelet, pants, socks, nail polish- it doesn’t matter as long as it’s visible and purple!
Each day, we are going to take a picture and post it on our blogs, Facebook, & Twitter to share with our followers to show our support of the Crohn’s & Colitis Awareness Week.
We are challenging all of you to join us!
Wear purple and take a photo of it each day and post it to your blog, Facebook, or Twitter with the hashtag:
At the end of the week, we’ll compile all the photos on our blogs to share with everyone.
I will be sporting this Purple Scarf made for me by a sweet friend just for this week, as well as marker on a Purple heart every day to support the love and compassion for this cause!